Sign in to follow this  
Acres

Is this a good price for this die grinder accessories set?

Hi, I was looking for accessories for my pencil grinder (like a Dremel) and my friend saw this kit at his local Cash Converters. I am not familiar with the brand but the Dremel accessories are pricey and this kit appears to be almost full. Anyone familiar with this brand? Thanks

192396349_diegrinderaccessories.thumb.jpg.9e31691682243685e43fa30bc624e100.jpg 

On 3/26/2020 at 3:56 PM, Acres said:

Hi, I was looking for accessories for my pencil grinder (like a Dremel) and my friend saw this kit at his local Cash Converters. I am not familiar with the brand but the Dremel accessories are pricey and this kit appears to be almost full. Anyone familiar with this brand? Thanks

192396349_diegrinderaccessories.thumb.jpg.9e31691682243685e43fa30bc624e100.jpg 

That is Shoprite Checkers Schultz "Pro Tools" brand,  it's cheap supermarket tools (cheaper than Ryobi and Black & Decker cheap). Their power tools are intended for light DIY tasks and not for commercial use. I have no experience with this accessory set. Go to your nearest Checkers tool section and see what it costs and whether it will be worth your while for what you intend to use it for.

On 3/28/2020 at 8:59 PM, Toolkid said:

That is Shoprite Checkers Schultz "Pro Tools" brand,  it's cheap supermarket tools (cheaper than Ryobi and Black & Decker cheap). Their power tools are intended for light DIY tasks and not for commercial use. I have no experience with this accessory set. Go to your nearest Checkers tool section and see what it costs and whether it will be worth your while for what you intend to use it for.

Thank you @Toolkid I will have a look when lockdown is over. This Schultz brand have you used it before?

On 3/31/2020 at 6:12 PM, Acres said:

Thank you @Toolkid I will have a look when lockdown is over. This Schultz brand have you used it before?

For occasional DIY use their power tools get the job done but not for industrial work. I once urgently needed a jigsaw to cut some plywood, I looked at a secondhand shop and the cheapest used was R1000 and not evens a premium brand. So I bought a Schultz at Checkers I think it was like R229 or something and it comes with 1 year guarantee. They are honest with what you are getting as they state on their boxes "for DIY use only" and their guarantee terms excludes commercial use.

How was it? Well, you get what you pay for, the blades are crap and I had to go back to buy a set of blades, which was like R60 for 14 I think. But it got the job done, you need a steadier hand to cut straight with these tools as it doesn't have anti-vibration as found on more expensive tools (Makita, Dewalt etc.), and I only used it that one time. But it would have been more costly if I had to take it to someone to cut or buy a used high-mileage machine that I can't sell to get the money back.  Now even if I sell it for half of the R290 it cost me, I will still be happy.

On 3/31/2020 at 6:12 PM, Acres said:

I think DIY items should be essential, it does not have to be business related, but hobbies help with boredom and keeping busy can be good for mental health. You can also take this time to learn a new skill like wood carving or build something you always wanted to do. People have tension, stress and anxiety they worried about the future, they can't buy cigarettes or alcohol, keeping busy is a good way to pass the time.

On 4/14/2020 at 1:33 PM, Business Machines said:

I think DIY items should be essential, it does not have to be business related, but hobbies help with boredom and keeping busy can be good for mental health. You can also take this time to learn a new skill like wood carving or build something you always wanted to do. People have tension, stress and anxiety they worried about the future, they can't buy cigarettes or alcohol, keeping busy is a good way to pass the time.

Some hardware stores are now allowed to open but only for "emergency repairs at homes".

Some hardware and car-part stores will be able to open – but only for emergency supplies

Essential goods will now include the hardware, "components and supplies needed by tradespeople for emergency repairs at homes".

The hardware and supplies needed by institutions deemed essential, such as hospitals, may also be sold. 

The same goes for suppliers of car parts for any vehicle "used by a person engaged in essential services work".

But there are strict rules in place that will allow for the prosecution of anyone who tries to buy non-essential hardware.

"Stores selling hardware products and vehicle components must maintain a register of persons buying essential goods... and must keep a record of  a signed declaration” from the buyer that the goods are essential, the new regulations read.

Read more...

Maintaining a register of persons buying essential goods, and keeping a record of signed declarations sounds like a hell of an administrative burden.

Hi guys, hope you all and your family are safe, I went to Checkers got it R229! Cheaper than it was secondhand and incomplete at Cash Converters.

diegrinderset.thumb.jpg.99575e9eb06550240007d86c08cc19ba.jpg

On 4/2/2020 at 3:56 PM, Toolkid said:

For occasional DIY use their power tools get the job done but not for industrial work. I once urgently needed a jigsaw to cut some plywood, I looked at a secondhand shop and the cheapest used was R1000 and not evens a premium brand. So I bought a Schultz at Checkers I think it was like R229 or something and it comes with 1 year guarantee. They are honest with what you are getting as they state on their boxes "for DIY use only" and their guarantee terms excludes commercial use.

How was it? Well, you get what you pay for, the blades are crap and I had to go back to buy a set of blades, which was like R60 for 14 I think. But it got the job done, you need a steadier hand to cut straight with these tools as it doesn't have anti-vibration as found on more expensive tools (Makita, Dewalt etc.), and I only used it that one time. But it would have been more costly if I had to take it to someone to cut or buy a used high-mileage machine that I can't sell to get the money back.  Now even if I sell it for half of the R290 it cost me, I will still be happy.

Yes they still had Jigsaws, Sanders and Angle Grinders for R229.

jigsaws.thumb.jpg.fe6ad47ca11db0c84ae48d5572a63bb1.jpg

grindersandsanders.thumb.jpg.ff130a7f5b01a5adee9d3928db0e4ace.jpg

16 hours ago, Acres said:

Hi guys, hope you all and your family are safe, I went to Checkers got it R229! Cheaper than it was secondhand and incomplete at Cash Converters.

diegrinderset.thumb.jpg.99575e9eb06550240007d86c08cc19ba.jpg

I am well thank you :) Good to hear, let us know how it goes, I have a few die grinders I want to list in the classifieds, I can just refer people to this accessory kit as I don't have a lot of accessories to include. By comparison a Dremel 150 piece kit costs R655 see below. Well that's Cash Convertors for you selling secondhand product (sometimes without warranty) more than what they cost new.

dremel-accessory-kit.thumb.jpg.f451d310f0bd6140cade88ac082a7a3b.jpg

16 hours ago, Acres said:

Yes they still had Jigsaws, Sanders and Angle Grinders for R229.

jigsaws.thumb.jpg.fe6ad47ca11db0c84ae48d5572a63bb1.jpg

grindersandsanders.thumb.jpg.ff130a7f5b01a5adee9d3928db0e4ace.jpg

Checkers also sells another "bargain" brand, with actual German roots called Einhell it appears Checkers with Schultz (which is a name of German origin) has a similar strategy but cheaper. It is a classic low-cost business model. These brands value proposition is "Can you find a better tool for the price?"

On 5/15/2020 at 3:09 PM, Toolkid said:

Checkers also sells another "bargain" brand, with actual German roots called Einhell it appears Checkers with Schultz (which is a name of German origin) has a similar strategy but cheaper. It is a classic low-cost business model. These brands value proposition is "Can you find a better tool for the price?"

It's interesting that Checkers has in recent years been repositioning and focussing more and more on the premium end of the market where Woolworths is instead of the middle alongside PicknPay you would think that they would sell better tools and sell these low cost brands in Shoprite.

On 5/18/2020 at 3:18 PM, Brakish said:

It's interesting that Checkers has in recent years been repositioning and focussing more and more on the premium end of the market where Woolworths is instead of the middle alongside PicknPay you would think that they would sell better tools and sell these low cost brands in Shoprite.

I think that when you buy higher end tools you expect a higher calibre salesperson than what you would find at Checkers. Now I'm not saying that Builders or Brights salespeople are very good, but in my experience a Checkers salesperson can't even tell you the difference between basic stuff let alone a high-end tool and unless they hire people with hardware experience I see them continuing with that strategy: very basic power tools catering to the casual home DIY user. That being said I'm not even sure Checkers has trained salespeople, it appears to me when you need help they just call the people who pack the shelves or who oversee the packing of shelves.