Sign in to follow this  
Old Lady

What is happening with the Experian "data breach"

All I am hearing is vague statements designed to pacify. Does anyone know what is really going on here? Does the credit bureau really believe this person was just sitting on this information for months and did nothing with it? Not even make a backup? 

On 8/24/2020 at 10:26 PM, Old Lady said:

All I am hearing is vague statements designed to pacify. Does anyone know what is really going on here? Does the credit bureau really believe this person was just sitting on this information for months and did nothing with it? Not even make a backup? 

It's obviously very embarrassing for Experian to admit that they handed over this information to a random person, considering that this was not a hack and is information that is available to Experian clients (such as banks), is the problem that this information ended up in the "wrong hands" or that this person did not pay for it? The employees of Experian clients also have access to this information (and what checks are there to avoid abuse?) so does anyone who does a credit check using a service like Windeed. If indeed the issue is that it ended up in the wrong hands I think it is very naive to think that this person did nothing with the information the months while he had it in his possession. Clearly we have a crafty individual skilled in social engineering (or Experian is just very incompetent), the fact that the dataset did not end up on the internet or dark web (yet) does not mean anything. It's not like its difficult to hide, he/she could have it backed up on a flash drive.

It is very interesting that while on the one hand Experian tries to downplay that they peddle information that can be used to steal your identity, trying to calm the public that the problem is that this information is not one of their clients like their clients can't misuse that information.