Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MP Agent

What is the governments endgame with lockdown?

Recommended Posts

I have a small pub with some slot machines and rooms to let. At the beginning of lockdown I wasn't too worried as the quiet time gave me space to do some long planned renovations obviously in anticipation that lockdown will end and the economy will be opened up. Now I am starting to get worried. I cannot help thinking what is the real endgame with all these levels. It does not appear to be a coherent strategy. What is the community's thoughts?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MP Agent said:

I have a small pub with some slot machines and rooms to let. At the beginning of lockdown I wasn't too worried as the quiet time gave me space to do some long planned renovations obviously in anticipation that lockdown will end and the economy will be opened up. Now I am starting to get worried. I cannot help thinking what is the real endgame with all these levels. It does not appear to be a coherent strategy. What is the community's thoughts?  

The main target is the white community; everyone else is just collateral damage. The ANC says the economy is in "minority" hands, so in their mind the ends justify the means. The incoherent levels strategy is just to muddy the waters so they cannot be accused of targeting specific people.
The endgame: a controlled "inclusive" economy. However this will fail, because the ANC is too incompetent to control a puppet and there are too many structural deficiencies - a dysfunctional ANC-built system that traps people in unemployment and poverty priming them for economic dependency - and that is why even if they burn the country to the ground. What will emerge from the ashes will be an economy that is demographically similar what we have today, except on a much smaller scale with much less jobs available and much less taxes to pay grants with.


“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” - Milton Friedman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/31/2020 at 5:13 PM, Friedmanite said:

The main target is the white community; everyone else is just collateral damage. The ANC says the economy is in "minority" hands, so in their mind the ends justify the means. The incoherent levels strategy is just to muddy the waters so they cannot be accused of targeting specific people.
The endgame: a controlled "inclusive" economy. However this will fail, because the ANC is too incompetent to control a puppet and there are too many structural deficiencies - a dysfunctional ANC-built system that traps people in unemployment and poverty priming them for economic dependency - and that is why even if they burn the country to the ground. What will emerge from the ashes will be an economy that is demographically similar what we have today, except on a much smaller scale with much less jobs available and much less taxes to pay grants with.

Investor Magnus Heystek reckons the endgame is not to enrich the majority at the expense of the minority but rather just to enrich "ANC-connected cadres".

 

Edited by Prophet of Profit

Price is what you pay, value is what you get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/31/2020 at 2:59 PM, MP Agent said:

I have a small pub with some slot machines and rooms to let. At the beginning of lockdown I wasn't too worried as the quiet time gave me space to do some long planned renovations obviously in anticipation that lockdown will end and the economy will be opened up. Now I am starting to get worried. I cannot help thinking what is the real endgame with all these levels. It does not appear to be a coherent strategy. What is the community's thoughts?  

If you renting are out your rooms by the day and it's slow going convert them to month-to-month short-term rentals to stop some of the bleeding or even longer providing you credit check potential tenants. Considering gambling is now allowed look to serve your slot machine patrons other refreshments to make some extra money if you don't want to risk fines our losing your license by serving them liquor (which some places have continued doing). 

Edited by Prophet of Profit

Price is what you pay, value is what you get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Prophet of Profit said:

Investor Magnus Heystek reckons the endgame is not to enrich the majority at the expense of the minority but rather just to enrich "ANC-connected cadres".

 

That does make more sense than the ANC actually enriching their constituents. I wonder if it's part of their "100 black industrialists" program, instead of having the arduous task of growing businesses from the ground up they can now buy distressed companies on the cheap.


“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” - Milton Friedman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...