Sign in to follow this  
MP Agent

Takealot.com using foreigners with imported vehicles for deliveries

Posted (edited)

I've been noticing something really interesting, the people who last delivered my lockdown orders from Takealot.com were all foreigners with imported cars (foreign plates) of vehicles that were never sold in SA.

I wonder if there is some organized movement behind this: buy a cheap  reliable car in African country, drive to SA and make money or if its just individuals acting on their own.

It will be interesting to know what is Takealot.com's rationale behind this. I see on their careers page their requirements seems really lax for foreigners.

Requirements:

An Android smartphone for the delivery app & GPS.
Your own scooter, motorbike or light vehicle 
ID
Valid Drivers Licence 
Proof of Address
Proof of Bank details
Vehicle Registration form
Clear criminal record 

If Non-South African, please bring :

National/International drivers license
Valid passport
Work permit/ Asylum

Edited by MP Agent

5 hours ago, MP Agent said:

I've been noticing something really interesting, the people who last delivered my lockdown orders from Takealot.com were all foreigners with imported cars (foreign plates) of vehicles that were never sold in SA.

I wonder if there is some organized movement behind this: buy a cheap  reliable car in African country, drive to SA and make money or if its just individuals acting on their own.

It will be interesting to know what is Takealot.com's rationale behind this. I see on their careers page their requirements seems really lax for foreigners.

Takealot's rationale is economic, and that minimum wage buys a higher calibre foreign worker than what it does a local. That is why you see Mr.D is almost exclusively foreign. Foreigners live thin in SA so they have a lower cost of living, oftentimes many of them share a house and when you come from a dysfunctional state like Zimbabwe where you have a worthless currency you are far more grateful for the pittance than Takealot pays. Whereas with a local pay him crap money and you usually get crap work, also a local with a licence and a vehicle is not going to want to work for what they would consider pocket money. Locals in that position usually already has what the foreigners are working for: a roof over their heads and food for the pot so they don't see it worthwhile to get out of bed for what Takealot pays.

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” - Milton Friedman