Sign in to follow this  
Ramon BuySell

Don't the South African police investigate fraud anymore?

Posted (edited)

I was watching eNCA Checkpoint on forex fraud and Devi's new show on PPE (personal protective equipment) scams under COVID-19

And found that police are turning victims of fraud away telling them that it is a civil matter, leading them in both cases to hire private investigators. I am not a lawyer, but should the police not investigate whether there is a fraud case or not?

In the forex matter the police said because a contract was signed it is automatically a civil matter. One would think that the police would investigate and interview the alleged scammer as to whether he actually did use the people's money to trade and didn't maybe spend it on something like prostitutes and drugs.

In the PPE matter the complainant was told the same thing:

So what is happening now? Do we have no recourse against fraudsters? If a "supplier" runs off with your money does the invoice make it civil rather than criminal?
The PPE supplier does not appear to have had any intention to supply the products, even saying as much as he got the money and admits to not sending it.

Besides private healthcare and security are we going to be needing to hire private investigators to investigate crime and hand deliver the evidence into SAPS detectives laps do they can prepare a docket and open a case to be send for prosecution? Why bother paying taxes if you have to pay for tax funded government functions separately?

Edited by Ramon BuySell

I've noticed the same thing is happening with thefts. The police at the station think all you are there for is to get a case number for insurance purposes rather than wanting the theft to be investigated. 

I think the state is in way over their heads with crime in SA, they can't even cope with violent crime and rape, how can you expect them to pursue less serious crimes with any type of vigour? 

I see that MTN had to hire a private security firm to investigate the theft of cell phone tower batteries. So it is not outside the realm of possibility that we in future would have to hire private investigators to do detective work and if you can't afford to, too bad, don't expect justice. South Africa is a boon for criminals. 

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” - Milton Friedman

SAPS does not even follow up in leads in murder cases so asking them to investigate fraud is asking a lot. They did not want to follow up tracking the cell phone of a murder victim because they assumed that the person in possession of the phone was not the murderer. Be that as it may, the person in possession of that phone could have led them to the person who they got the phone from and that person could have led them to the murderer, through you know detective work. SAPS is dysfunctional: the bad is lazy and  incompetent while the good is overworked and under-resourced.