Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mr nobody

Is Junk Mail still a worthwhile place to advertise?

Recommended Posts

I've started buying and selling secondhand goods again, back in the day I used to advertise on Cape Ads which is no longer published, but was owned by Junk Mail. I'm currently using Gumtree and OLX but it's a bit slow, I see that Junk Mail still has a website. Is it a worthwhile to advertise there or should I not waste my time? I went to the Cape Town section and it's just cars from Auto Mart on all the first five pages I scrolled through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, mr nobody said:

I've started buying and selling secondhand goods again, back in the day I used to advertise on Cape Ads which is no longer published, but was owned by Junk Mail. I'm currently using Gumtree and OLX but it's a bit slow, I see that Junk Mail still has a website. Is it a worthwhile to advertise there or should I not waste my time? I went to the Cape Town section and it's just cars from Auto Mart on all the first five pages I scrolled through.

I haven't used Junk Mail in many years I'm talking from when the Cape Ads still existed. I remember it having a horrible and cluttered interface and going back now it's still as "busy" as I remember it. The way the current design is it appears the main objective is to have people click on Google adverts, yes Gumtree also have ads and it has gotten worse in recent years but you are able to distinguish between the two.  I went on their place advert page and even that is has adverts on. I only use Gumtree (yes they have their shortcomings), and bidorbuy on occasion. 

Business is slow all over due to the corona virus but things are picking up as the economy opens more and more. Rather keep your ads updated on Gumtree regularly than waste time seeking out every other classifieds platform, Gumtree show up high in search engines as well.

What type of items are you selling?

Edited by Ramon BuySell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2020 at 6:48 PM, mr nobody said:

I've started buying and selling secondhand goods again, back in the day I used to advertise on Cape Ads which is no longer published, but was owned by Junk Mail. I'm currently using Gumtree and OLX but it's a bit slow, I see that Junk Mail still has a website. Is it a worthwhile to advertise there or should I not waste my time? I went to the Cape Town section and it's just cars from Auto Mart on all the first five pages I scrolled through.

According to Alexa which gathers various traffic data, Gumtree.co.za is the 22nd most popular website in South Africa, OLX.co.za the 94th and Junkmail.co.za the 142nd most popular in SA however this data includes international sites. Now Alexa is not the most scientific but Narratiive (formerly Effective Measure) which is gathers local data and the IAB ranked Gumtree significantly higher at the end of last year as the 6th most visited website in South Africa with 3,825,761 unique browsers and 71,257,958 page views.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2020 at 7:40 PM, IT Guy said:

According to Alexa which gathers various traffic data, Gumtree.co.za is the 22nd most popular website in South Africa, OLX.co.za the 94th and Junkmail.co.za the 142nd most popular in SA however this data includes international sites. Now Alexa is not the most scientific but Narratiive (formerly Effective Measure) which is gathers local data and the IAB ranked Gumtree significantly higher at the end of last year as the 6th most visited website in South Africa with 3,825,761 unique browsers and 71,257,958 page views.

My understanding is that Gumtree holds significant market share in the Western Cape, particularly Cape Town where it has been entrenched for a long time despite OLX's and their Daddy Warbucks (Naspers) attempts to topple them (they are now trying to buy Gumtree's holding company). So while on a national level, maybe in smaller towns their rivals may be closer to Gumtree in popularity, in Cape Town it is significantly more popular than the others. Junk Mail used to have publications in Pretoria and KwaZulu-Natal so they might be more familiar to users in those areas (and they dropped the Cape Ads brand which was familiar to Capetonians whereas Gumtree was only in Cape Town and Johannesburg when they started.

Edited by Mesa Verde

Specialist in failure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you @Ramon BuySell, @IT Guy and @Mesa Verde for all your guys input, I will mainly stick to Gumtree for now, I have noted more interest in the days since lockdown has been relaxed.

On 5/30/2020 at 12:39 PM, Ramon BuySell said:

What type of items are you selling?

I specialise in commercial printing equipment, litho, digital, sublimation, screen-printing, Riso's etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, mr nobody said:

I specialise in commercial printing equipment, litho, digital, sublimation, screen-printing, Riso's etc. 

Hi @mr nobody, you can advertise individual items in our listings classifieds service you can also place a general ad (saying you supply printing equipment) in the International Trade section in a country of your choice. There is a demand for business equipment from the rest of Africa and there are already buyers based in SA why buy here and resell there, so it would be no different to a local transaction.


Community liaison. 
It ain't much but it's honest work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Claude said:

Hi @mr nobody, you can advertise individual items in our listings classifieds service you can also place a general ad (saying you supply printing equipment) in the International Trade section in a country of your choice. There is a demand for business equipment from the rest of Africa and there are already buyers based in SA why buy here and resell there, so it would be no different to a local transaction.

Thank you will do.

Btw on the international trade section I see only International Trade discussions and individual country, but not continent for Africa. Should I put it under International Trade or is there a country I should add it under?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mr nobody said:

Btw on the international trade section I see only International Trade discussions and individual country, but not continent for Africa. Should I put it under International Trade or is there a country I should add it under?

There is no continent discussions. Malawi is a popular destination for secondhand commercial equipment, even older machinery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mr nobody said:

Btw on the international trade section I see only International Trade discussions and individual country, but not continent for Africa. Should I put it under International Trade or is there a country I should add it under?

 

1 hour ago, Business Machines said:

There is no continent discussions. Malawi is a popular destination for secondhand commercial equipment, even older machinery.

What @Business Machines says is correct, there is currently no continent discussions. If any member believes that the community will benefit from continent level discussions please leave feedback here.


Community liaison. 
It ain't much but it's honest work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mr nobody, @Business Machines , @Member & @Provisional Member after internal discussions we have opened continents for trade leads, offers and discussions.
In the case of Africa you can go to the African continent section and post there, making sure to follow the template on top of the page. However if you are targeting Malawi then add it to the Malawi category and it will show up on the Malawi page as well.


Community liaison. 
It ain't much but it's honest work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...